With many Victorians having had fewer experiences around water this year, water safety should remain the primary safety consideration for pool owners and operators.
To assist with appropriate decision-making and compliance, LSV have developed a self-assessment checklist for aquatic facility owners and operators which includes links to relevant supporting information / resources.
- Self-assessment: LSV Pool Safety Compliance Checklist Summer 2020-21 (Word)
Chief considerations should remain:
- Are aquatic facility staff appropriately trained and qualified?
- Have lifeguards and swim teachers completed an in-service training session prior to the re-opening of the pool?
- Has the facility’s aquatic risk assessment and supervision plan been appropriately reviewed and updated?
- Have corrective actions resulting from pool safety assessments and mystery guest visits been completed?
- Does the aquatic facility have compliant and visible water safety signage?
- Does the facility have an appropriate child supervision program in place?
- Does the aquatic facility have an appropriate adult vulnerable swimmer program in place?
- Has the supervision plan been audited per the requirements in the Guidelines for Safe Pool Operations?
- Has the supervision system been tested, such as by a Life Saving Mystery Shopper?