On 18 October, LSV hosted the eighth annual Pool Safety Summit. With 200 members of the Aquatics and Recreation Industry attending, the summit was an opportunity to review, discuss and plan the future of public pools and aquatic safety and address a selection of current industry challenges.
Expert industry speakers from across the country presented on a range of key topics in an informative and progressive format, including:
- Launch of the 2018-19 State of the Sector Report, developed in partnership with Aquatics and Recreation Victoria. (Available here.)
- The updated Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2019.
- Occupational health and safety management systems (ISO 45001) applied in aquatic centres.
- NSW Coronial inquest into a drowning of a young boy in a public pool.
- Vulnerable swimmers research and the launch of: SwimSafe – a safety campaign targeting adult vulnerable swimmers.
- Emergency planning.
- CALD recruitment and engagement.
Everyday Lifesaver presentations were also made to a number of aquatic centre staff members, pool lifeguard course participants and the LSV course trainer, who were involved in a successful resuscitation of a pool lifeguard training course participant at Ascot Vale Leisure Centre in October.
Their quick actions to perform CPR and start defibrillation contributed to saving the life of Trevor Mildenhall. (Read the full story here.)
LSV Manager Pool Safety RJ Houston said the summit was a great success, with aquatic centre staff travelling from as far as Swan Hill, East Gippsland and Warrnambool to attend.
“There are a lot of important changes happening across the industry at the moment, and the summit was a great opportunity to discuss those and ensure that we are all working together to ensure we meet the highest safety standards,” he said.
“I’d also like to thank our sponsors Cleaning Melbourne, Commercial Aquatics Australia and Waterlily Australia/Lovibond, whose generous support made this event possible.”
- Harrison Tanner (Pool Lifeguard – AVLC – Belgravia Leisure)
- Andrew Antic (Pool Lifeguard – AVLC – Belgravia Leisure)
- Jayk Burgess (Duty Manager – AVLC – Belgravia Leisure)
- Erith Nash (Duty Manager – AVLC – Belgravia Leisure)
- Luke Vesnaver (Exercise Physiologist – AVLC – Belgravia Leisure)
- Bradley Norton (PLG Course Candidate – YMCA Vic)
- Robin Sadler (PLG Course Candidate – YMCA Vic)
- Stewart Nicoll (LSV Pool Lifeguard Trainer)
Presentations from the event are available to view at https://lsv.com.au/pool-safety-services/pool-safety-summit/