Life Saving Victoria (LSV) have been working hard to ensure there are sufficient training opportunities for Industry staff ahead of the busy summer season. To support the regular Safer Pools Newsletter, we wanted to ensure you were aware of recent Industry changes which impact Industry training requirements;
- RLSSA: Guidelines for Safe Pool Operation (GSPO) https://www.guidelines.royallifesaving.com.au/
- DHHS: Water Quality Guidelines for Public Aquatic Facilities https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/public-health/water/aquatic-facilities/quality-guidelines
- Safer Public Pools – Code of Practice: https://lsv.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Safer-Public-Pools-Code-of-Practice-V1.pdf
|Applicable to:||Qualification needed:||Reference source:|
|Lifeguards||SISS00111 Pool Lifeguard Skill Set
HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
LSV: Code of Practice
|Swim teachers||SISSS00112 Swimming and Water Safety Teacher Skill Set||RLSSA: GSPO
LSV: Code of Practice
|Duty managers / Operations-stream managers / maintenance officers / pool plant contractors||SISSS00110 Aquatic Technical Operators||DHHS: Guidelines for water quality
Parliament of Victoria: Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2019 (Draft)
The below is a simple summary of initial training requirements for your pool staff. Additional information is set out in the GSPO and Code of Practice including the need for ongoing PD training.
- SISS00111 Pool Lifeguard Skill Set: For any person wishing to achieve employment as a Pool Lifeguard in the aquatic industry. Lifeguards also need to hold a current Provide First Aid qualification.
- SISSS00112 Swimming and Water Safety Teacher: LSV’s newest course, designed for any person wanting to become a Swim Teacher in the aquatic industry. Teachers will also need a CPR qualification, WWCC and a Swim Teacher Licence from an approved Licensee such as LSV.
- SISSS00110 Aquatic Technical Operators: For any person responsible for the testing, treatment or maintenance of a swimming pool or its associated plant equipment / maintenance.
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid: For any person wanting to work as a Pool Lifeguard, as a first aid officer or with access to oxygen, defibrillation or spinal management equipment.