With Schoolies festivities almost upon us, Life Saving Victoria is reminding school leavers to be aware of how quickly coastal conditions can change and the dangers of mixing alcohol and swimming.
The Schoolies hotspots of Lorne, Torquay and Sorrento will have beach patrols seven days a week throughout the Victorian Schoolies period, which kicks off on Saturday 25 November.
LSV Manager Lifesaving Operations Greg Scott is encouraging people to enjoy their end-of-year celebrations safely. “We ask all beachgoers to swim between the flags at the patrolled times, where lifeguards can look out for you. If we can’t see you, we can’t save you.”
For those hitting the coast this Schoolies, check out our Schoolies safety tips:
- Always swim at a patrolled beach. Check beachsafe.org.au to find patrolled beach locations and times.
- Always swim between the red and yellow flags
- Check and follow the safety signs
- Ask a lifesaver or lifeguard for advice
- Always swim with a friend and look out for your mates.
- Avoid swimming after consuming alcohol. Don’t drink and drown