LSV recognises that the cost of programs can be a significant barrier to schools participating in vital water safety programs. LSV’s Education Team is continuing to actively seek opportunities to subsidise program costs, so that more Victorian students can participate in water safety and lifesaving programs such as the Open Water Learning Experience (OWLE) and Sink or Swim.
We would like to gratefully acknowledge our wonderful program supporters who have contributed to essential water safety skills for students across a diverse range of areas deemed ‘at-risk’ for drowning across Victoria. Additional to the ongoing support from the Victorian Government’s ‘Play It Safe by the Water’ campaign and the RLSSA and Federal Government’s Inland Waterways Drowning Prevention Fund ‘Respect the River’ campaign, the following support was provided during 2016/17:
Open Water Learning Experience
- The Club Caroline Springs (through Melton City Council)
- The Department of Education & Training (DET) as part of Children’s Week
- Victorian International Container Terminal (VICT) Community Investment Fund
- Danks Trust/Annie Danks Trust
- Bendigo City Council
- City of Greater Dandenong
- Hume City Council
- Christine Boucher (a community member from East Gippsland who fundraised)
Sink or Swim – Meet a Lifeguard Program
- Brimbank City Council
- The Andrews Foundation
- Golden Plains Shire
Some feedback from students and schools who participated in programs with support from the above groups included:
- “The students returned very excited and keen to share their stories about what they learned and did today. Our staff were very appreciative of the manner and way your staff and lifesavers helped and encouraged our students! All in all, fantastic program!” – Laverton College who participated in the OWLE program thanks to the VICT community investment fund.
- Trafalgar High School commented ‘After such a successful Sink or Swim program at Wonthaggi in Term 1 2017 we would very much like to book your services next year’. (The Andrews Foundation)
- Collated feedback provided by the schools who participated OWLE Prep to Year 4 Pilot Project with thanks to Danks Trust/Annie Danks Trust highlighted that ‘the instructors had excellent knowledge of the subject matter; that the program was the right level of difficulty for the students; that students developed the skills and confidence regarding water safety that they expected from the program; and that students’ overall water safety knowledge improved.’
We encourage schools to contact Jessica Acocks, LSV Education Services Programs Coordinator to participate in OWLE or Sink or Swim on 03 9676 6986 or Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org.